Friday, March 26, 2010

A Trans-Continental Tourist

Martin recently had to write a poem for his Advanced Literature class.  I don't know what the total assignment was, but here is the poem that he wrote - I think it is exceptional!!

A TRANS-CONTINENTAL TOURIST

I am Astle, Wonnacott, Provost, Adams and Skywalker. 
Though not of gypsy heritage, I moved from place to place across the fruited plains.
From Utah to Texas to Idaho, I have planted my roots in Greenleaf soil.

A tourist in my own country, from sea to shining sea.
From the treacherous mouth of the Columbia,
To the cascading waters of Niagra Falls.
From the U.S.S. Lexington, in the Gulf of Mexico,
To a small simple tugboat in Astoria, Oregon,
In my dreams, my next destination is the wilderness of Alaska.

My passion is hunting; I'm not crazy in the head
Like tree huggers, progressives, and environmentalists.
I love nature, being outside and old fashioned logging
And I hope, that someday, I can bag my king sized bull.

My name is Sean, though some people call me Luke.
My dad likes star wars; hence the name.
People always get mixed up, so they call me Sean Skywalker.
I can use the force; the force of words.

I love the ranch, the cows and the horses,
From the growling four wheeler to the whispering Indian wind,
The charred sagebrush and the canyon
Will always have a special place to me in my heart.




Just a few shots of the author who penned the poem - you can see some of his personality coming out in the pictures I take of him - and in his poem.  No pictures of him hunting - that is a Mom thing, not something the guys think of. :)