Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Montessori Moment

I gave Lemur some pennies in a small bowl (probably 20 pennies) and a small penny bank.
I showed him how to put the penny in the slot. After he had all the pennies in, he brought it to me. I took the bottom off so he could get the pennies out and just left it off. (that part of it I didn't think through) - Montessori says to have the "work" all prepared for them so they do not have to have adult interaction/interference while they are working, it distracts them. If they want to show you their work, that's fine, but she doesn't want the adult interfering with their work.. It's okay for them to explore and try the work a different way - as long as it is safe (if he's putting the pennies in his mouth - of course, interfere).
He tried another way - pouring the pennies in the hole instead of putting them in the slot.

It was time to put the work away when he started making a mess. When the child uses the work inappropriately, time to put it away. Don't make a big deal out of it by hollerin' and yellin' or threatening the child, simply say, "it looks like you are done with your work. Let's put it away." And help them put it away - even if they cry and throw a fit about it. You can also say, "you can try again later."
*************************************************************************************
I have been thinking about why my classroom ran so well with 12-16 2 1/2- 3 1/2 year-old-children, and why it doesn't always run so well with one 2-year-old at home. Here are some random thoughts:
* At school, it was my job to train, make "work" and enforce the rules. At home I forget that it is my "job" to do the same thing for Lemur and I get more into my "work" (transcribing, cooking, cleaning etc) and let things slide. Of course we are all busy and can't play teacher all the time, but some things I've tried to remember lately are:
** Don't threaten - your child will soon learn you don't mean what you say. When you say something ("it's time to clean up your toys,") mean it. Help them clean up their toys. Have them help you.
** Follow through - when you tell the child to do something, if they choose not to do it, help them do it.
** The less you talk, the better - children become "adult deaf" when we yap at them all the time. The tune us out. Say something, then act. (I know, it's hard to get up off the chair or stop cooking dinner to help the child go potty instead of telling them 5 times to "go potty!" but it'll be worth it.)
** Lots of positive reinforcement, but be careful not to praise too much. Instead of "you are such a good girl" tell your girl WHAT she is good at: You put your laundry away so nicely! Look how neatly you set the table. Wow, you got yourself dressed!
** When you show your child a new "work," do it without talking. Make it a magical moment. Quietly do the work. Move Slowly making exaggerated movements. For example, when putting the pennies in the penny bank, I picked up a penny, slowly held it in 2 fingers and moved my hand in a big sweeping motion to the penny bank, slowly putting the penny in the slot. Then I said quietly, "wow..." (BIG SMILE from me and Lemur). I repeated myself 2-3 times, even though Lemur was excited and wanted to try it himself.
** Have a specific work area. In my classroom the child could do their work on a rug (big carpet square works good or small child's blanket or a small weaved-type or braided rug), a table, or at a certain station - water table, sand table etc). This works great at home too. It confines the work to the certain area so it doesn't get spread out all over the house. When the child gets the work off the area, quietly say, "our work stays on the rug/table." Lemur has found out that if he throws the work or takes it somewhere else, it gets put away. I've been doing this the last 2 months and he knows to keep it in his area. I do not always use a rug, but I'm going to try and do better - he does keep it in the area he is working though, or I put it away. Of course this does not pertain to his toys in his bedroom, playing outside etc. it's just the special "work" I make for him when I need a little time to get something done.

I gave Lemur some toothpicks in the little bucket, and an empty jar with a plastic lid on top that has holes in the top (anything would work - like a spice container that you shake the spices out of). I showed him how to put the toothpicks through the tiny hole into the bottle. Notice how the bucket is on the left, the container on the right - left right pattern is good for their brain. This is a great exercise in fine motor - finger strengthening.


HIS success may not look like what MY success does. Don't forget, we are PRODUCT oriented, they are PROCESS oriented. He was so happy to have the toothpick in the hole! Later he figured out how to shake it and get them out. He did this over and over and over. (this is one to stick in the diaper bag for church)



No comments: