Sunday, May 11, 2008

Desert Wildlife

While we were on our little hike, we came across some desert wildlife. We didn't see any ground squirrels, deer, rabbits or coyotes this time, but usually we do, along with lots of different kinds of birds and sometimes antelope. When we first moved to the Ranch in 1977, there were even wild horses and burros running around. Us kids scared them all off, I guess. We called these Earth Babies. I have no idea if that is their real name or not. I remember seeing them quite a bit when we moved to the Ranch when I was 3. As the years went by, I don't remember seeing very many of them. They are really interesting looking critters, an insect with 6 legs, big pincers by their mouth and just an icky looking body. They always grossed me out. I was surprised that Lil' Lizard #2 saw one. This one was eating a beetle.
Stink Bugs... P.U. !!!!!

Lizards: Did you know that if you are lucky enough to grab one by the tail, the tail will fall off so the Liz can get away? He will grow a new tail. Lil' lizard #2 asked if that hurt them? I'm not sure, I've never asked a Lizard.


Red Ants... they bite!



1 comment:

Montserrat said...

Those earth babies are gross! When I was little living in Miami we would catch lizards all the time to watch their tails fall off.