Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day: Four Fabulous Fathers

My Husband and Father of our children: Hunter
Zookeepers 2 Fathers: Papa Bear

Mr. Zucherman
Hunters Father: Tortoise

I was blessed with 2 wonderful Dads. Most little girls only get one: Well, I guess I was lucky. I have always remembered having 2 Dads; that's just the way it was. One dad was there every day with me: Teaching, playing, working, loving, disciplining. The other one was more of an idea to me than a real person until I became an adult. Now he is more a father figure - an example in many ways to me. I owe a lot to my dads.


Papa Bear has been my dad through thick and thin. I learned what a man should be by watching my dad. I always thought he could do anything; and I still do. He can build anything, fix anything, make anything, do anything. He is spiritual and taught us to love Heavenly Father and serve Him and others. He taught me to do what's right because it's the right thing to do. He taought me to have faith in, believe, and follow the prophet. He taught us kids how to do things by example more than by talking to us. I have learned by watching dad, that when you borrow something from someone, you always return it in better condition than when you got it. Sometimes I wondered if people would let him borrow their broken down equipment because they knew he would fix it for them. I know my dad loves me because of the way he serves me. My dad is a man of few words, but when he speaks, I pay attention. Dad has always accepted me as his daughter and hasn't treated me any different than his biological children. I loved it when I was a child when my dad would play with us. He could be the scariest monster that sent shivers down my spine when he chased me on all fours! I loved it when we would get out the old blue sleeping bag, unzip and spread it out on the living room floor, and wrestle. I loved it when he would play hide and seek with us, board games, or baseball on a summer evening. Dad taught me to love nature, to take time off work to enjoy life, and that working can be fun. I didn't realize getting wood was work - I thought it was a family vacation. Dad sacrificed many things for me, and now that I am a parent and a step parent, I am only beginning to realize the extent of his sacrifice. I am so blessed to have a Dad like you Papa Bear!


Mr. Zucherman is an example to me of someone who has made mistakes and is willing to admit it and change. He has taught me many things about the atonement of Jesus Christ. He is a good example to me of selfless acts of service. I am amazed at the dedication he has to his son Wilbur, who is mentally and physically handicapped. Dad takes care of that little (big) boy day in and day out; he never complains, never feels sorry for himself and does it with love and gentleness. He is a happy, positive person who takes on life's challenges without complaining and always looks for the good in everyone and everything. I am richly blessed by his family heritage. I am thankful to have you has a dad Mr. Zucherman.

I am lucky to be married to a man that has the qualities of both my dads. I know that he got many of his good qualities from his dad. Hunter loves his kids more than life. He shows them his love by sacrificing long hours of driving to make sure he can spend every minute he can with them. He works extremely long days to provide for his family. I appreciate how he has the kids work with him, teaching them how to do everything from wiring new lights, to putting in an irrigation system, running a crane, milling wood, building things, cooking, and learning how to do something new himself. He serves other people willingly with a good attitude and usually takes along a kid or two to help him. He makes sure the children are respectful to me and to others. Hunter is a Patriot. He loves our country and is teaching our children to do the same. Hunter takes his Priesthood seriously and teaches our children to love Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. He teaches our children that you are never to old to learn; he is always reading and learning new things. I am thankful everyday to be married to this wonderful father.


Tortoise is Hunters Dad. He is a man of great integrity and honesty. Hunter looks up to his dad and loves spending time with him. In Hunters words: " I like my dads hard work ethic. I know he loves my mom; he doesn't just say it, he shows it. He can do what ever he puts his mind to." It is very obvious that Tortoise loves his family a lot. He loves spending time with his children and his grandchildren. He is very gifted at working with wood and has made some beautiful gifts for his family. When ever Hunter has a question about how to do something to our house, he calls his dad and asks for his advice. I am very thankful that Tortoise is the father of my husband and for everything he did as a father in raising him to be the great man that he is.


Here are the words to a song I learned when I was a little girl. When I think of my dad, this song says it all: It is by Janeen Brady


MY DAD

My dad's the biggest guy, and my dad's the strongest guy,

and my dad's the nicest guy of any guy in town.

He can do anything, he'll fix your bike or fly your kite,

cause my dad, my dad's the greatest guy around.

He can throw a ball so high you think it's gonna break the sky;

he knows the name of every kind of jet. (vroooooom!)

He can add up any sum; he always has money for bubble gum (or in my dad's case: ice cream or a candy bar)

I haven't figured how he does it yet, BUT:

My dad's the smartest guy, and my dad's the bravest guy,

and my dad's the neatest guy, it's positively so.

Maybe I'll introduce you, then you'll know that it's the truth

that my dad, my dad's the greatest guy you know.


HAPPY FATHER'S DAY DADS!!! I LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

David and Esther said...

We do have pretty great Dad. We are lucky girls to have had such a worthy priesthood holder in our home growing up.