
Here are a few ways we like to eat it... or at least a few ways I fix it, and most of the time the critters don't even know they are eating it!
*Grate it and freeze it in 2 or 3 cup portions to use later.
* Grate it and put it in your spaghetti sauce.
* Grate it and put it in your pancakes or scrambled eggs.
* Grate it and put it in sloppy joes. (When we had sloppy joes for dinner one night, Monkey asked, "what are those green things in there?" I said, "Oh, that's the sloppy part of the joes." he kinda looked at me funny and ate it all up.)
* Good cubed in soups.
* We slice it up like a cucumber and put it in our green salad.
* Steelhead put it in a vinegar and garlic solution that he makes and ate it with the cucumbers.
* Slice it in spears or rounds and eat with salt or ranch.
* Pick sorta small (like you'd buy in the grocery store) slice in half spread with a mixture of melted butter and garlic salt with a brush and throw it on the BBQ grill for just a couple of minutes, turning it now and then. Eat it crisp - so good!
Here is a recipe for Zucchini Spice Cake that a friend sent me. We made it twice this weekend it was so good. Once we ate it with whipped cream. The other time the girls made a glaze and put on it when it was hot. Cream cheese frosting would also be good on it, and I had it warm with vanilla ice cream - you can't go wrong with ice cream. I think I may put chocolate chips in it next time.
2 cups flour
2 cups finely chopped zucchini (I fine grated it)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup water (add this last, as you might want to omit it)
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
Beat all ingredients for 2-3 minutes. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 40 - 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. These would probably make great muffins too, just bake less time.
This is a recipe for Zucchini Bread that I got when I worked at a Candy Factory and craft Boutique my first year of college (way back in the 90's!) It is still my favorite recipe, and of course, it's best with ice cream and/or chocolate chips.
3 cups shredded zucchini (I prefer finely shredded versus coarsely shredded)
beat together
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup oil (sometimes I use half oil and half applesauce)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
then add zucchini and 4 cups flour and of course, milk chocolate chips.
Bake 350 for 30 minutes (I think it usually takes longer, but check it with a toothpick)
Also makes great muffins, just bake for less time (maybe 15 - 20 minutes) Sorry, cooking with a Zookeeper is not an exact science.
If you have any other zucchini recipes, I'd love to have them. Post a comment or email me! Thanks!
1 comment:
You missed my favorite, probably because it's a given...but cooked up with butter and onions...YUMMMM!!! :)
Post a Comment