Do you make New Years Resolutions? I do. I am very much a goal setter. I bribe myself with little goals every day; things like... when I get the dishes done, I can blog. Or, as soon as I sweep and mop the floor I can check my facebook. I am motivated by small rewards... when I'm done with 5 transcriptions, I can have a Lindor chocolate. It keeps me going, helps me get my stuff done, and adds a little bit of motivation to do a little more than maybe I normally would have done.
When January rolls around I usually start thinking about about what goals I can set that are a little bigger and more important than eating chocolate, going on facebook and blogging (although blogging is a form of journal writing, so that's a good one, in my opinion). The past couple of years my cousin has chosen one word that her goals are based around. Last year for her it was iChoose, this year it is Abundance. I have actually thought a lot about that the past year because I sometimes set a bunch of goals and then forget what they were by Valentines Day. If I had one word to remind me of my goals, maybe I won't lose sight of what I was trying to accomplish.
So this year, I have chosen the word joy to base my goals around. I usually keep my goals to myself, but I also learned from my cousin that if you share them, it's a form of accountability. You will definitely know if I do not stick to my goal of finding joy in exercising. So: I am going to share my 2010 goals with you... whomever you are... and even if no one reads this post, I'm still going to write them down, because I know when you write your goals down you are more likely to accomplish them.
Finding joy in being a mother: I seem to have lost the spark for being a mom. I have gotten drug (dragged?) down with the every day hum-drums of being a mom: laundry, cleaning, picking up toys, shopping, running errands, playing taxi, doing dishes, cooking, making menues, putting out "fires," helping with homework, making kids do chores, etc. etc. I want to start looking for all the cute, wonderful, caring and brilliant things my children... who are part ME, ZOOKEEPER, genes, that my children do. Even in the past few days as I have set this goal, I have already noticed a difference in my attitude towards my children as I look for the good in them and feel the joy of being their mom.
Finding joy in being a wife: I have such a wonderful husband, and I try hard not to ever, EVER take how great he is for granted. I am going to try and not get pulled down by the stresses of life and forget about my marriage. My marriage will be a priority and I will find joy in serving my husband, spending time with him, and being the best wife I can be.
Finding joy in reading the scriptures: I have been doing pretty good at reading my scriptures every day. I love to read all kinds of books, but don't always make the scriptures a priority. Last year I made it a priority and it has blessed my life in so many ways. The goal I set last year was to read the scriptures first - before I could read any other book or thing, I had to read a chapter or two from the scriptures. Making this a priority has helped prioritize other areas of my life. This year I will continue that habit, and find joy as I read the words of the prophets of old and apply them to me, Zookeeper, in 2010.
Finding joy in exercising: This will be my hardest goal this year I think. Once I get out and get going, I love exercising and don't want to quit. Getting started is the hardest. I love to exercise outside but the weather has been so yucky this fall and winter that I just haven't done it. Martin came home from a Boy Scout Merit Badge Clinic and he had done most of his Personal Fitness Merit badge... all except exercising for 3 months. He was really dreading it, so I told him I would exercise with him when he got home from school. This has really helped me find joy in exercising because I get to be with my son (and usually a few more kids and 2 dogs) and we go for some great jog/walks (chases... getting the dogs out of other people's pastures) with each other and have some great conversations. I love to be outside and appreciate nature, see the changes of the seasons, and breath in all that fresh air (as long as the wind is blowing away from the Simplot potato processing plant... P.U.).
finding joy in serving others: I am so blessed with lots of time (it's all a matter of perspective), money (again - perspective), resources, talents (not trying to toot my own horn here), and desire to serve. This year I am going to find joy in serving others. I don't always have the best attitude as I serve, but this year I am going to do better. My Grandma Crook had a saying on her wall, "Because I have been given much, I too, must give." I have been given so much, and I too, will give... and find joy while serving.
I believe it is going to be year full of joy!
1 comment:
I toyed around with using that one this year but couldn't get abundance off my mind. It is hard to find joy...it really is a search, isn't it? Stacy has a plate in her entry way that says, "JOY - help yourself". Nice! good luck this year!
Post a Comment